Friday, January 16, 2009

Recording Challenges

Recording Tumbalalaika presents a challenge.  It's a dance.  That means it should properly be played with a lot of energy and volume.  The only time I get good recording time is when the kids are asleep.  While Jacob wouldn't wake up before 5am if you blew a megaphone in his ear, Shannon isn't such a heavy sleeper.  No amount of personal pride in a job well done is worth waking her.

She does like hearing me play, while Jacob couldn't care less.  I'll just have to take advantage when the boy is out playing with his friends and hope Shannon doesn't decide to sing along.  Though, in all reality, it would probably make the recording better.

My choice of recordings are from a library I've been putting together of songs that I have learned over the last 4 years that I think are interesting enough (and that I've enjoyed enough) to want to perform.  Both Scarborough Fair and Tumbalalaika are from very early in my lessons, but played well they are still performance worthy in my opinion.

I'm trying to decide what will come next.  I have more older pieces, but my current class project is Enya's Watermark which is coming along much faster than I expected.  It's amazing what consistent practice will do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment